Introduction to copywriting
Content quality is an important part of user experience. Up–to–date, meaningful and useful content will engage your visitors and help build the Aviva brand and reputation online. In addition, well–written and structured content will improve the website ‘stickiness’ – the length of time visitors spend on the site, repeat visitors and providing more opportunity to convert them into customers.
When producing content for the web, these are some general rules:
- Ensure there is a communications plan in place.
The areas to include in the plan are covered in the next section of this document.
- Make sure that you are familiar with Aviva‘s content publication strategy.
This is defined in our Governance policy document.
- Focus on the behaviour, requirements and language of users, as well as what the business needs to communicate.
- Use keywords in the page title and at the top of the page.
This help users determine whether the page is relevant to them. These are determined through what users are searching for.
- Test what you have written against the aims that users are likely to have in visiting your web site or content.
Use web metrics, search term analysis and user testing to gauge your web site‘s effectiveness.
- Above all, ensure your content is up–to–date, by reviewing it regularly.
- Have an understanding of what search engines look for in web copy.
- More is not necessarily better. Each piece of content needs to prove itself in its own right – if it‘s not being used/looked at then get rid of it.
These guidelines are aimed at content authors or people who edit other people‘s work, and are designed to help you write and structure your content for maximum effectiveness online.
These guidelines are not specific to a certain type of page layout. For this reason, you should also be aware of how to interact with your specific audience, as interactions will be different throughout the site.
All content must be approved by the relevant stakeholders before it can be published. Follow your standard approval processes within your area.